At Occidental Petroleum Corporation (together with its wholly owned subsidiaries, “Oxy”), we recognize and respect your privacy. Therefore, we provide this privacy statement (“Privacy Statement”) to inform you of how we collect, utilize and share your personal information. Please read this Privacy Statement carefully.
Oxy may update this Privacy Statement from time to time and will post the updated Privacy Statement on our sites with a “Last Updated” date at the top. We may choose to otherwise notify you in a manner appropriate to the changes; please check our sites regularly.
Table of Contents
What Personal Information Do We Collect?
How We Use Personal Information
How We Share Personal Information
Links to Other Sites
European and Other Non-U.S. Data Subject Specific Information
U.S. State-Specific Privacy Rights
On our sites, we may collect or receive the following categories of information, which may be personal information (information from or about an identified or identifiable person, including information that Oxy can associate with an individual person):
- Contact Information: Information such as first and last name, street address, mailing address, email address, telephone number, fax number, company name, user identification code and password.
- Communications: Information you provide if you contact us by email, phone, mail, our “Contact Us” form or otherwise.
- Commercial Information: Information including products or services purchased, obtained or considered.
- Photographs: Photographs of yourself in relation to a testimonial you may provide.
- Financial Information: We may also collect financial information, such as:
o Tax identification numbers
o Bank account information, including account and routing numbers
o Customer account information
o IRS Form 1099 data
o Last four digits of your Social Security Number
- Site Usage Information: Information such as number of visits, the pages visited, approximate location (city level), browser and device information and the average time spent on each page to track traffic patterns throughout the site. This information allows Oxy to improve the overall content of the site and increase user satisfaction. When you visit our sites, cookies and other trackers may be generated and placed on your device to understand the information described above, such as how users interact with our sites and accounts, including what pages are accessed. To opt out of our use of third-party cookies, visit our cookie management tool.
- Other Personal Information: We may receive additional personal information as required or permitted by law.
To offer you a more consistent experience, information collected from our sites may be combined with information we collect by other means.
Oxy uses personal information collected from our sites for the following purposes, and for other purposes, with your consent, or as permitted by applicable law:
- Provision of Oxy Products and Services: To provide (i) our products and services; (ii) to carry out a transaction that you request, including to process orders and payment information; (iii) our sites and (iv) order updates.
- Improvement of Oxy Products and Services: To improve our products and services, as well as the overall content of our sites, and increase user and customer satisfaction.
- Authentication: To authenticate accounts and orders.
- Communication: To communicate with you about our products and services, including product updates, your account, newsletters and changes to our policies and terms. We also use your personal information to respond to you if you contact us.
- Marketing and Advertising: To send you advertising, updates and other promotional materials. We use Google Analytics and other service providers to (i) measure and report how users interact with our sites for the purposes of understanding and optimizing web usage; (ii) conduct business and market research; (iii) measure conversion tracking; (iv) advertise and (v) manage, measure and optimize the effectiveness of our content and advertising campaigns. We also conduct promotional campaigns by mail.
- Testimonials: In connection with a testimonial, including your name and photograph, in our publications, media, social media and advertising, as described in more detail when you submit a testimonial.
- Third-Party Service Providers: Oxy works with third-party service providers who perform services on our behalf, including integrations and cloud hosting.
- Advertising/Analytics Partners: Google Analytics and other partners may receive information about your activities on our sites through third-party cookies placed on our sites. To opt out of our use of third-party cookies that share data with Google Analytics and other partners, visit our cookie management tool. For information on how Google uses your information when you use our sites, click here.
- Corporate Affiliates: We share personal information with our corporate affiliates, which process personal information, including on our behalf, and including for purposes of improving marketing and providing advertisements.
- Change of Control: We may share personal information with potential or actual acquirers, their representatives, or other relevant participants, during negotiations of any sale, merger, acquisition or change of control involving all or a portion of Oxy’s business or assets, including in connection with bankruptcy or other similar proceedings.
We retain personal data for no longer than necessary for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement, unless a longer retention period is permitted or required by applicable law.
The criteria used to determine our retention periods include the following:
- Our relationship with you;
- Your choices with respect to your personal information;
- Whether we have a legal obligation to keep the data (for example, in certain instances records of transaction data must be kept for a certain period of time before we can delete them);
- The permissibility of retention; or
- Whether retention is advisable in light of our legal position (such as in regard to the enforcement of our agreements; the resolution of disputes; and applicable statutes of limitations, litigation or regulatory investigation).
This site may contain links to other websites, including some sites administered by Oxy or administered by other companies on behalf of Oxy, as well as to third party sites. The Privacy Statement applies only to sites administered by and on behalf of Oxy, and not to any third party sites. We have not reviewed and are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of such third party sites. We encourage you to read the privacy policies applicable to such third party sites.
Oxy does not direct its sites toward children under the age of 18. Oxy does not seek to or knowingly collect personal information from or about persons under the age of 18.
If you are located outside of the United States, and in particular, in the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, the United Kingdom (UK) or Brazil, you have various rights in relation to the processing of your personal information, including:
- Right of access. The right to access personal information about you that we process.
- Right of data portability. The right to receive your personal information in an interoperable format.
- Right to rectification. The right to correct any inaccurate or incomplete personal information.
- Right of erasure. The right in certain circumstances to delete personal information about you that we process.
- Right to object to processing. The right in certain circumstances to request that we stop processing your personal information.
- Right to restrict processing. The right in certain circumstances to request that we restrict processing your personal information.
To exercise any of your rights, or if you have any other questions about our use of your personal information, please send a request at the contact details specified at the end of this Privacy Statement. Please note that we may request additional information from you to confirm your identity and ensure that you are entitled to access the relevant personal information.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the competent data protection authority (in the country where you habitually reside, where you work or where an alleged infringement occurred) if you think that the processing of your personal information carried out by us infringes privacy laws applicable to you.
Legal Basis for Processing Personal Information
We rely on the following legal bases when we process personal information about individuals in the EEA, Switzerland, the UK or Brazil.
- Contractual Necessity: When we enter into a contract directly with you, we process your personal information on the basis of the contract to provide you with products and services and to prepare, enter into, perform, and manage the contract. We may not be able to provide you with all our products and services if we do not process your personal information for these purposes.
- Consent: We rely on your prior consent, where required, to (i) send you marketing communications related to our products and services and (ii) store cookies on your device for statistical and advertising purposes. In this regard, please note that you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time (without calling into question the processing previously carried out) by sending a request at the contact details specified at the end of this Privacy Statement.
- Legal Obligations: We also process your personal information to comply with the legal obligations of your country to which we are subject, namely laws, regulations, codes of practice, guidelines or rules applicable to us, and to respond to requests from, and otherwise communicate with, competent public, governmental, judicial or other regulatory authorities of your country.
International Data Transfers
Oxy is headquartered in the United States, so personal information will be transferred to the United States for the purposes referred to in this Privacy Statement. By obtaining our products or services or providing your personal information to us for any of the purposes described above, you acknowledge and agree that your personal information will be transferred to or stored in the United States.
For the purpose of providing our services, we rely on certain affiliates and service providers also located in the United States, and this may mean your personal information may be transferred to the United States.
When your personal information is transferred from the EEA, Switzerland or the UK to a recipient located in a country whose legislation has not been recognized by the European Commission as having an adequate level of protection (such as the United States), we ensure that the transfer is governed by the European Commission’s standard contractual clauses (as amended by the UK Addendum and by the Swiss Addendum, where relevant). If you would like further information in this respect, please contact us at the contact details specified at the end of this Privacy Statement. Until the Brazilian Data Protection Authority establishes standard contractual clauses, when your personal information is transferred from Brazil, the transfer is also governed by the European Commission’s standard contractual clauses.
If you are a California resident, you may have rights in relation to the processing of your personal information under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA), as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act of 2020 (CPRA), as set forth below:
- Right to transparency. Businesses that collect personal information and are subject to the aforementioned laws have a responsibility to provide you notice regarding (i) the categories of personal information to be collected; (ii) the purposes for which the categories of personal information are collected or used; (iii) whether such personal information is sold or shared; (iv) the length of time they intend to retain each category of personal information, or if that is not possible, the criteria used to determine that period and (v) other relevant information. This Privacy Statement contains such information; please read this Privacy Statement, as well as any additional terms provided to you at or before the collection of your personal information, in their entirety.
- Right to access. Right to access (i) the categories and specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you; (ii) the categories of sources from which we have collected such personal information; (iii) our business purpose for collecting such personal information and (iv) the categories of third parties with whom we have shared such personal information.
- Right to correct. Right to correct any inaccurate or incomplete personal information about you that we process.
- Right to delete. Right to delete any personal information about you that we process, subject to certain circumstances.
- Right to limit. Right to limit the use and disclosure of sensitive personal information. Because we do not use sensitive personal information (to the extent it is even collected) for any purpose other than to provide our products and services, and do not use it to infer characteristics about you, we do not provide this right.
Oxy will not discriminate against you for exercising any of these rights.
To exercise your rights, please email your request to Privacy@oxy.com or call the following toll-free phone number: 800-699-7702. Only you or an authorized agent may make a request related to your personal information.
We will acknowledge receipt of your request within 10 business days. Within 45 business days, we will either provide a substantive response or notify you of an extension period (up to an additional 45 days) and reason for the extension.
To respond to your requests, we must verify your identity. We may do so by requiring you to log in to your account, provide additional information and/or give a declaration as to your identity under penalty of perjury.
California’s Shine the Light Law
California’s “Shine the Light” law (California Civil Code Section 1798.83) allows California residents, annually and free of charge, to request information about the disclosure of their personal information (if any) to third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. To exercise your rights, please email your request to Privacy@oxy.com or call the following toll-free phone number: 800-699-7702.
If you have any questions, you may contact us at:
Occidental Petroleum Corporation
Attn: Legal Department - Privacy
5 Greenway Plaza, Suite 110
Houston, Texas 77046
Last Updated: March 23, 2023